- See kitchen & bathroom ideas
- Find your kitchen/bathroom style
- Create your kitchen/bathroom ideas
- Instant Picture Book Download...
Calculate Your Renovation Costs
- Instant Home Renovation Estimate
- Free Online Renovation Calculator
- Plan Your Renovation Ahead
101 Kitchen & Bathroom Renovation Designs, Ideas & Tips
Buying to Renovate
Get The Home You Love For Less (Free Ebook)
5 Property Experts Reveal How To:
- Get the home you want, within your budget
- Buy in your favourite neighbourhood – for less
- Create your perfect home to your tastes
- Find, fund, purchase, design & renovate your ideal home
Home Renovation Tips and Articles
- Apartment Renovations – Why They’re Different
- 5 Clever Glass Uses for Your Renovation
- 7 ‘Must Ask’ Questions For Your Renovation Project Manager
- 5 Expert Renovation Tips To Create Your Zen Space
- How Long Should Your Renovation Take?
- 7 Expert Tips For A Successful Renovation
- Should You Try to ‘Live In’ Your Renovation?
- 5 Ways to Manage Your Home Renovation Costs
- 5 Features of a Designer Kitchen
- 5 Renovation Stressors & How To Manage Them
Home Renovations Project Management System
How to get the Melbourne home renovation you want at a lower cost
Found the Melbourne suburb you want to live in, but cant find the right property for you? If your ideal house seems out of your reach or you dont have quite the budget to buy the best property in your chosen suburb, finding a renovators delight may be just the option for you. By renovating your Melbourne home you can have the house you want at the price you can afford.
Here's a step-by-step guide to help you find the perfect fixer upper for home renovation in your chosen suburb and get your foot into the market at a lower price point.
Decide what you want: Firstly, determine what type of property you are after. Is it a family home you want? Or a terrace-style house or Melbourne city apartment living?
Do your research: Search real-estate websites, magazines and speak to local agents for homes in your chosen area that match the style youre after. Remember youre looking for places that look a little tired or with outdated décor and make the perfect canvas for renovation.
Check-up time: When you find a house that fits the bill, have a building inspection done to check the property for any structural damage and/or expensive repairs that may be required. Ideally, you want a house that is structurally sound and simply requires a cosmetic home renovation.
Do a comparison: Do a little more homework into comparable sales within the suburb and surrounding Melbourne area. You especially want to know what similar, fully renovated homes in the same area have recently sold for. This will help you establish a good understanding of this propertys potential worth.
Sealing the deal: When youre purchasing the property, bear in mind comparable sales and the home renovation work that is required. Discuss negotiating early access during settlement (so repairs/renovations can be done before you move in).
Renovation begins: If you negotiate early access, obtain an access agreement and have your interior designer and builder begin renovations during the settlement period so that the work is done and ready for you to move in the day of settlement.
A recent client was searching for an East Melbourne home with a specific style of kitchen. The couples budget was $1.4M and as they had a very clear idea about what they wanted for their kitchen space, they were having trouble finding a home that suited their needs. After much searching, they decided to look for a home that didnt offer their ideal spaces or suit their style and was in a lesser condition than they hoped but could easily be renovated to their liking. After a few weeks, they found the perfect house to renovate for $1.1M ($300,000 less than their budget). They spent $140k renovating the house to create a new kitchen space, as well as new bathrooms and adding modern finishes throughout the house. Buying a less than perfect home saved them money but meant the finished product aligned perfectly with their style and needs.
- For more advice about Melbourne home renovations, see www.themakeovergroup.com.au or phone The Makeover Group on 1300 768 464.
Richard Armstrong is Director of The Makeover Group. He has more than a decade of home renovation experience, including kitchen and bathroom design and build, and has helped hundreds of Melbourne clients undertake renovations to create their ideal home. Richard is an active and experienced property investor who contributes to Australias leading property publications and websites.