- See 101 kitchen & bathroom ideas
- Find your kitchen/bathroom style
- Create your kitchen/bathroom ideas
- Instant Picture Book Download...
101 Kitchen & Bathroom Design Ideas
Bathroom Ideas and Articles
How We Deliver Your Bathroom On Time
How Long Does A Bathroom Renovation Take?
A typical bathroom renovation takes roughly four to six weeks to complete. So if you dont have a second bathroom, its safe to say youll need to factor in moving out temporarily or at the very least finding another place to shower.
To illustrate the process, take a look at this sample bathroom renovation schedule to better understand all the steps involved in your typical bathroom renovation.
1. Selections & design finalised Once youve decided on all the elements (tiles, shower type/style, tap fittings, bath, vanity, basins) the actual renovating can begin.
2. Demolition A day is usually all it takes to strip your bathroom of tiles, fittings and fixtures. Once its stripped back to the bare framing, the work can begin.
3. Framing Needed if youre planning on remodelling your bathroom and making changes to the bathroom layout.
4. Rough in for plumbing and electrical This is installing all the pipes and any wiring for your bathroom through the walls/floor and framing. If youre keeping the layout the same for powerpoints, basins, showerhead, taps etc there will be less work involved at this stage (meaning less time and cost).
5. Flooring laying scion floors gives greater longevity to your bathroom (far better than chipboard with an overlay)
6. Plastering Expect a couple days to be allocated to plastering, required for where tiles/mirrors have come off the original walls and for any new walls too.
7 Screeding especially required for walk in showers or those that arent using a standard off the shelf poly marble shower base.
8. Waterproofing Perhaps the most important element of your bathroom to get right! A poor waterproofing job could lead to disaster down the track. Waterproofing, completed by a professional to requirements set out by the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and Australian Standards, protects the structure of your bathroom.
9. Cabinetry Off-the-shelf cabinetry (made to a set size) is ready to be installed, but if you opt for custom-made cabinetry this can take 3-4 weeks to complete depending on your chosen finishes.
10. Tiling Taking up the largest portion of your renovation timeframe and the biggest job in your bathroom, tiling time will vary depending on your specifications do you require floor-to-ceiling tiling, mitred edges etc?
11. Fit off taps and electrical Connecting any basins/taps, showerheads and electrical work (powerpoints, lighting).
12. Screens and mirrors Once tiling is complete mirrors and shower screens are ready to be fitted.
13. Painting Any required painting to architraves, walls etc.
14. Site cleaning
Hopefully, knowing the timeline process will give you a better idea of just why your bathroom could be out of action for about four weeks. And while theres no easy answer to the question: How long will my bathroom renovation take? once we know the plans for your space, selections and finishes we can give you a better indication of the timeframe. If its a large bathroom and youre changing the layout or after higher-quality finishes (such as stone benchtops and two-pack cabinetry) expect the job to take a little bit longer to achieve.
See Some Other Case Studies
Bathroom Renovation Tips & Articles
|South Melbourne Renovation Case Study||A-K Guide to Bathroom renovations|
|Kew Renovation Case Study||L-Z Guide to Bathroom renovations|
|See our before and after photo gallery||Modern Bathrooms - Elements of Style|
Richard Armstrong is a Director of Melbourne firm The Makeover Group. Educated in interior design, he is a Registered Building Practitioner. Richard has undertaken post graduate property valuation research to identify the renovations that add the most value to homes in specific Melbourne suburbs. Over the last decade, he has helped hundreds of inner metro Melbourne clients undertake renovations to update their homes and create a new, fresh and modern look all while growing the value of their property. See testimonials.