- See kitchen & bathroom ideas
- Find your kitchen/bathroom style
- Create your kitchen/bathroom ideas
- Instant Picture Book Download...
Calculate Your Renovation Costs
- Instant Home Renovation Estimate
- Free Online Renovation Calculator
- Plan Your Renovation Ahead
101 Kitchen & Bathroom Renovation Designs, Ideas & Tips
Buying to Renovate
Get The Home You Love For Less (Free Ebook)
5 Property Experts Reveal How To:
- Get the home you want, within your budget
- Buy in your favourite neighbourhood – for less
- Create your perfect home to your tastes
- Find, fund, purchase, design & renovate your ideal home
Home Renovation Tips and Articles
- 5 Ways to Manage Your Home Renovation Costs
- 5 Features of a Designer Kitchen
- 5 Renovation Stressors & How To Manage Them
- House Extension Cost Per Square Metre – 6 Considerations
- Five Ways to Boost Natural Light in Your Home Renovation
- 5 Alfresco Design Tips
- 5 Renovation Ideas For When The Kids Move Out
- 3 Ways To Structure Your Renovation Finance
- 5 Top Tips For Choosing Your Home’s Colours
- 7 Questions To Ask An Architect Before You Engage Them
Home Renovations Project Management System
5 Ways to Manage Your Home Renovation Costs
The last thing you want as a home renovator is a budget blow-out. Before you crunch the numbers, check out these expert hints for keeping your home renovation costs under wraps throughout the building process.
1. Traditional architect vs design/build model.
The traditional renovation process typically sees homeowners consult an architect for design work and then go to a builder. Often homeowners find this method results in price discrepancies. By delivering both processes together (design/build model) prices can be checked at each stage of the project.
2. Firm up your selections before the build starts.
Research your preferred inclusions (style and quality of fittings, fixtures, appliances) before the building process begins. Doing this often results in less cost variations and design changes later on, paving the way for a smooth more-efficient renovation timeline.
3. Stick to your selections budgets.
Keeping to the decided price range for your selections is paramount to managing your costs. If you have allowed $300 for your bathroom tap set, then avoid upgrading to a fixture priced above this selections budget.
4. Minimise changes throughout the build.
Put simply, the less building changes you make throughout the renovation process, the less costs you will incur. Any changes once you reach building stage will likely require additional tradespeople, fixtures and fittings you hadn’t planned for and potentially delay the project’s finishing date too.
5. Avoid surprises by using an online house renovation and home extension calculator.
Take your costs planning to the next level by getting an instant online renovations costs estimate. To better manage your home renovations costs, you can try our free online renovation costs calculator.
Contact The Makeover Group for advice and ideas to plan your next Melbourne home renovation.
Richard Armstrong is a director of Melbourne firm The Makeover Group.
With more than a decade of home-renovation experience, Richard has helped hundreds of Melbourne clients modernise their homes to create spaces that better suit their lifestyle.